Skip to main content

The Fall Of Cornelia


The Fall Of Cornelia
KINGDOM OF CORNELIA – DUSK
Following a battle with the Red Dragon, the kingdom is in ruin, burned to ash. The four Warriors of Light are mourning the loss of their ally, Waldon the Master Black Wizard. The four warriors consist of Frederick the Knight, Fei the Monk, Lani the White Mage, and Waldon's younger brother, Riley the Black Mage. They are sitting amongst the embers of the flames recently extinguished by Blizzaga magic. Frederick breaks the silence.

FREDERICK
He gave his life to rescue ours … the last of his strength for a final
meteor spell … and we left him behind.
Silence.
FEI
It is what he wanted … his selfless actions, his love for others …
for his brother … surpassed his love for himself.

Fei looks over to Riley, who's back is turned to the group, and is far away in his thoughts.
The ashes diminish slowly. The crackling embers seem to still be echoing screams of the fallen.
Lani is in tears.
LANI
It's over. Garland is too powerful. The more we fight… the more he'll
continue to summon beasts from the outer world. It's only a matter of time.
We have to face it … we've lost. Darkness will consume this world in its entirety.

Frederick and Fei bow their heads in defeat
FEI
I fear you are correct.
Riley remains un-phased in his trance

FREDERICK
It does appear that all hope is lost. If Waldon The Great could not defeat the
beasts, what chance do we have?

Frederick looks at the pile of stones and ash where his proud Kingdom once stood. The Kingdom his father had fought for until his death.

FREDERICK (Cont.)
I have failed my father. I shall never be great like him.
I have failed my best friend. I could not save him.
And I have failed Princess Sarah. An attempt of a rescue is futile.

He retires his blade and shield, stands, and begin to walk away
Riley's back is still turned
RILEY
You're right … you have failed.

Frederick stops in his tracks. Fei and Lani put on a puzzled stare
No one has ever heard young, shy Riley speak in such a manner

RILEY (Cont.)
You say you left my brother behind. You say you have failed him … and
you have.

Frederick turns to Riley in awe of his remarks

RILEY
But not because of our escape … not because of his sacrifice … that was
Waldon's choice. He gave his life to our cause. He gave his life because
he believed in us. He believed we would not let him die in vain.

The Warriors' eyes glisten in the dying sunlight

RILEY (Cont.)
No … you failed because you don't believe in him. You don't believe in his
choice. You say that he was your best friend, but what manner of friend are you?

Riley finally turns around, staring directly at Frederick who is now in tears.

RILEY (Cont.)
You think I don't feel remorse? You think I don't feel regret? If I were strong enough, he would never have had to use Meteor to save me. I can never
be the Wizard he was … I know that. But at least I'm not a coward like you.
At least I wouldn't turn my back on him. I know I can't be him, but I sure
as hell would give my life to fight for what I love. Fight for him.

Frederick, Fei, and Lani are now buried in shame

RILEY (Cont.)
No hope? Well that's the one thing you're right about. You've already made
your choice. You're already dead. But you haven't died a hero … and you
never will.

Riley turns his back again. Silence.

FREDERICK
Ha … Haha … Hahaha … AHAHAHA!

Frederick's random burst of hysterical laughter is met with jaw-dropped stares from the others
How can he be laughing at a time like this?!

FREDERICK
Well Master Fei, how does it feel to have your position of Wise Monk usurped
by a young apprentice of magic?

Fei rises and smiles.
FEI
It appears Waldon has made a true Wizard of you yet, Riley. I am at your
service, oh wise Mage.

Riley turns reluctantly towards the other two, mouth open, back to his shy self.
Lani bounces to her feet, giggles, and kisses him on the cheek.

LANI
Oh Riley, how could we have been so foolish? I'm so glad we have you.
With you on our team, we're unstoppable!

Riley blushes. Frederick picks up his blade and shield, resembling his late father.

FREDERICK
Well Master Riley, what is our next plan of action? We are at your command.

Something comes over Riley, and now more than ever he looks just like his brother to the others.
He stands upon a single stone, one that seems to have not been damaged by the flames at all, as if it were emitting a glow.
RILEY
Alright, Warriors, if Garland thinks he can summon up a storm, then we
will summon a monsoon! If he lights a flame, we will bring down the wrath of
Hades upon him! If he casts his sword, we will strike with the force of a
thousand blades. And we will never … NEVER … accept defeat. We will
blind him with the Holy Light, and the darkness he has unleashed upon
our world will be no more! For we are The Warriors of Light, the White Knights
of Cornelia, and we are Garland's worst nightmare!

The final embers burn out, and within the dark ashes of defeat, rises a glimmer of hope.
The Warriors prepare for their journey ahead.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Picture Is Worth 1,000 Souls (Experiment #1)

A Picture Is Worth 1,000 Souls         It was Sunday when my friends called me up. Perfect weather, perfect day. Didn't matter to me, depression has no preference in climate. It sounded like they had already been drinking. Almost noon, good start. They've been trying to get me out of the house for months now, and today seemed like the day to battle my demons. Golf they said, how predictable. Not much of a sports guy, or a people person, but whatever let's golf.          They pull up in Roger's '99 Porsche Carrera. I thought he had sold that piece of junk. George gets out of the passenger seat and folds it down for me to get in. "How's it going, cocksucker?", he says, douchey as usual. I don't respond. I get in to find Roger's girl in the backseat, Rachel Feinstein. My heart starts pounding as I slide in next to her. My knee touches hers and I quickly jerk it away. She simply cracks a smile and says, "Hi". I die. I simply can&